Competencies & Sub-Competencies
Competency: Can analyze and explain the concept of exceptionalities and federal legislation that mandates a free and appropriate public education for all students.
- Describe and discuss the concept of exceptionalities.
- Describe the historical treatment of persons with disabilities.
- Cite major principles of federal legislation mandating a free appropriate public education.
- Identify the disability conditions noted in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA).
- Compare and contrast IDEIA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Define least restrictive environment.
- Discuss the continuum of services model.
Construct a self-paced training e-portfolio that contains the following materials:
- An infographic that explains the historical treatment of persons with disabilities and the concept of exceptionalities
- An narrated PowerPoint that cites the principles of federal legislation that mandate a free and appropriate education, including list restrictive environment
- A handout/brochure that describes the current disability conditions included in IDEIA
- A podcast that explains what is meant by continuum of services
- “Table of Contents” for the e-portfolio that briefly describes the contents and what is needed for viewing