Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Project 1 Competency and Sub-Competencies
Competencies & Sub-Competencies
Competency: Can analyze and explain the concept of exceptionalities and federal legislation that mandates a free and appropriate public education for all students.
- Describe and discuss the concept of exceptionalities.
- Describe the historical treatment of persons with disabilities.
- Cite major principles of federal legislation mandating a free appropriate public education.
- Identify the disability conditions noted in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEIA).
- Compare and contrast IDEIA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Define least restrictive environment.
- Discuss the continuum of services model.
Construct a self-paced training e-portfolio that contains the following materials:
- An infographic that explains the historical treatment of persons with disabilities and the concept of exceptionalities
- An narrated PowerPoint that cites the principles of federal legislation that mandate a free and appropriate education, including list restrictive environment
- A handout/brochure that describes the current disability conditions included in IDEIA
- A podcast that explains what is meant by continuum of services
- “Table of Contents” for the e-portfolio that briefly describes the contents and what is needed for viewing
Student Learning Resources
The following resources are Open Educational Resources that are project specific and provide the necessary knowledge base to develop your project and demonstrate your skills. Cite all sources used in APA format.
Additional Student Learning Resources
Skill Building Resources
These resources will help in the development of your project.
Project 1 Checklist for EDU 3120
You may find this checklist helpful as you create your training e-portfolio.
Project 1 Details for EDU 3120
For this project, you will create a self-paced training e-portfolio to help teachers understand laws related to serving students with disabilities and the concepts of continuum of services and least restrictive environment.