Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Project 1 Competency and Sub-Competencies
Project Competency: Can identify and explain the role of the arts in the development of thinking and learning skills in the K-6 classroom.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of visual art, music, drama, and dance concepts and skills appropriate for the elementary school curriculum.
- Can identify and demonstrate an awareness of the interrelatedness of visual art, music, drama, and dance education.
- Concept map that defines arts integration and compares art integration to STEAM and Arts Enhancement
- 4-6-page research paper Explains the impact of arts integration on the development of the K-6th-grade child including:
- Cognitive (including the impact on brain development)
- Social/Emotional development
- Physical development
- A letter to a first-year teacher that is:
- Two-three pages long
- Explains the role of creative thinking in the elementary classroom
- Describes the benefits for students in a creative classroom
- Provides at least two strategies foster creativity in the classroom.
Student Learning Resources
The following resources are Open Educational Resources that are project specific and provide the necessary knowledge base to develop your project and demonstrate your skills. Cite all sources used in APA format.
National Art Education Association (NAEA)
Founded in 1947, The National Art Education Association is the leading professional membership organization exclusively for visual arts educators. Members include elementary, middle and high school visual arts educators, college and university professors, researchers and scholars, teaching artists, administrators and supervisors, and art museum educators, as well as more than 45,000 students who are members of the National Art Honor Society or are university students preparing to be art educators. - See more at: http://www.arteducators.org/about-us
The mission of ArtsEdge is "to help artists, teachers, and students gain access to and/or share information, resources, and ideas that support the arts as a core subject area in the K12 curriculum." This site includes lessions, standards, weblinks, how-to's, articles and reports, advocacy essentials, and more.
PBS Parents. The Importance of Arts in Child Development
Explains how the arts benefit develop in areas such as motor skills, language development, decision making, and visual learning.
North Carolina Arts Council
Provides resources and links to support arts education.
Student Learning Resources